The CAC prototype Sabre (CA-26) first flew on August 3, 1953. The production aircraft were designated the CA-27 Sabre with first deliveries to the Royal Australian Air Force beginning in 1954 powered by an Avon 20 engine and these were designated Sabre Mk 30. In 1957 and 1958 these aircraft had their wing slats removed and became Sabre Mk. 31. The last 69 aircraft to be produced had the new Avon 26 engine and were designated Mk. 32. In the mid 1960s the Mirage III began to replace the Sabres.
On June 1, 1962 RAAF 79 Squadron arrived at Royal Thai Air Force Base Ubon. The squadron was there to defend against what was thought to be a pending attack through Laos. Two CAC Mk. 32 Sabres were always kept on high alert armed with 30 mm cannons and Side-Winder Missiles. These aircraft were to be ready seven days a week during daylight hours and only used for self-defense. The expected attack never took place but 79 Squadron remained in Thailand until August 1968 when the unit was disbanded.