The Curtiss P-40 Warhawk first flew in 1938 as a modification of the Curtiss P-36 Hawk. Warhawk was the official U.S. designation while the name Tomahawk was used by the British Commonwealth and Soviet forces for the P-40B and C and Kittyhawk for P-40Ds and later variants. The P-40 was first used by British squadrons in North Africa and the Middle East in 1941. The P-40 lacked a two-speed supercharger making them inferior to German aircraft but was an adequate fighter in low altitude combat zones. Almost 12,000 P-40s were produced.
P-40N 43-23933 MSN 31872 was sent to the RAF as Kittyhawk IV FX835 OK-D and operated by the RAAF 450 Squadron. The aircraft was the first of at least 3 aircraft to wear the nose art 'No Orchids'. In November 1944 FX835 OK-D was sent to 53 RSU for an overdue major overhaul. With FX835 gone FT881 was given OK-D and 'No Orchids' art. In March 1945 OK-D and 'No Orchids' was passed on to FX799 that was SOC March 28, 1946.